To be honest, making this Crispy Bourbon Chicken makes me feel young. a rebellious adolescent who once brought Chinese food into the theatre!
The Chinese takeout drive-through scene in the movie, though, was kind of the ideal one for doing it in as it still makes me laugh out loud.
Let’s go back to business, Bourbon Chicken. This chicken has a rich bourbon flavour with notes of apple juice and is so incredibly sweet and sticky. It’s great. really good.
Is there bourbon in bourbon chicken? Yes! There is, but it cooks down so much in the sauce that it merely gives a special flavour and doesn’t affect your ability to drive. Simply increase the apple juice if you’d rather leave the bourbon out.
Some tips to make this the best bourbon chicken ever:
- I used chicken breast because my mall used to. If you want a more tender cut, use chicken thighs.
- If you’d like a thicker coating dredge in the cornstarch, dip in a beaten egg then dredge in some flour and deep fry.
- To make this more spicy double the crushed red pepper or swap the red pepper for Sriracha sauce.
Crockpot Bourbon Chicken Recipe:
Cook the chicken (use chicken thighs) according to the recipe instructions in the crockpot before adding half of the remaining ingredients for the sauce because they won’t be able to simmer in the slow cooker. Cook for five hours on low. Cook on high for 30 minutes after incorporating the final tablespoon of cornstarch.
Tools Used in the making of the Easy Bourbon Chicken:
Wok: Great for rapid cooking at high heat. If you enjoy making stir fries or Chinese food in general, this wok is a terrific addition to your kitchen.
Large Frying Pan: The majority of my non-cast iron cooking is done in this Cuisinart, unless I’m using stainless steel, in which case I’ll pick my All Clad.
Sauce: There isn’t much to say about this other than the fact that reduced sodium Kikkoman has the best flavour overall.
Easy Bourbon Chicken
Easy Bourbon Chicken that’s crispy, sweet, sticky and tastes just like the kind you grew up eating at the mall!
Prep Time15 minutes
Cook Time25 minutes
Total Time40 minutes
- ▢5-6 skinless boneless chicken breasts – about 3 pounds
- ▢3 tablespoons cornstarch divided
- ▢1/2 teaspoon salt
- ▢1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- ▢4 tablespoons canola oil
- ▢2 cloves garlic minced
- ▢1 cup water
- ▢1/2 cup apple juice
- ▢1/4 cup bourbon
- ▢1/2 cup chicken broth
- ▢2/3 cup lite soy sauce lower sodium
- ▢1/3 cup ketchup
- ▢2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ▢1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ▢1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- ▢1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- ▢1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Cut the chicken into 1 inch pieces and in a large bowl toss it with 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch, salt, and pepper.
- Add 2 tablespoons of canola oil into your nonstick skillet on medium high heat and let it heat until adding the first piece of chicken sizzles.
- Add half the chicken pieces and cook for 3 minutes without stirring.
- Turn the chicken pieces and cook and additional three minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Use the remaining oil to cook the second half of the chicken the same way.
- Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 20 seconds until you can just smell it.
- Add in the water, apple juice, bourbon, chicken broth, lite soy sauce, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, onion powder, ground ginger and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil then add back in the chicken.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce is reduced by about half.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of cornstarch to a small glass with a tablespoon of water and stir.
- Add into the pan and stir.
- Cook until the sauce is thickened. Serve immediately.
Calories: 208kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 1437mg | Potassium: 272mg | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 105IU | Vitamin C: 1.8mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 1.1mg