“Here is another excellent recipe of Vikram Vij from his restaurant Vij’s in Vancouver. Lots of flavor but very simple to make. I post it as it is originally, but I did cut down on the salt. The recipe said 1 1/2 tablespoon of salt! I think it was a mistake. I have after making it twice cut it down to 1 1/2 teaspoon. Feel free to use more. If you ever visit Vancouver BC…you must go to Vij’s!!!”
Ready In: 8hrs 30mins
- 3⁄4cup plain yogurt
- 1tablespoon tamarind paste (Asian supermarket)
- 3tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄4cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄2teaspoons salt (or to taste, see intro)
- 1 1⁄4teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
- 1tablespoon garam masala or 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 1⁄4lbs boneless chicken thighs, approx 6 oz per serving
- 1lemon, cut into 6 wedges (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl combine the yogurt, tamarind, garlic, canola, salt, cayenne and garam massala.
- Add the chicken, mix and make sure the chicken is covered with the marinade.
- Cover and marinate for a minimum of 4 hours but 8 is prefered.
- Preheat a grill, barbeque or stovetop cast-iron grill to high heat(if doing this indoors make sure you switch on your exhaust fan,there will be smoke whilst grilling on the high heat. (doing this in a pan does not work for me, it makes a mess and does not brown so well, grill or barbeque gave me a better result).
- Grill the thighs 2 minutes on each side, then again 2 minutes on each side.
- Check or the thighs are done, if still pink continue grilling.
- Serve with the lemon wedges.
- Note: Tamarind paste should be as thick as jam, if thinner use up to 1 tablespoon more.