“This casserole comes from the “Los Barrios Family Cookbook” and although it is tasty with just plain chicken, it is elevated to sublime using Canary Girl’s Chicken Verde. Just make sure you drain any excess liquid off the chicken. Assemble the dish right before baking — if you do it in advance, the sauce may make the tortilla strips soggy. You can buy green tomatillo sauce in cans, but I have also posted Los Barrios recipe.”
- Ready In:
- 2cups fried corn tortilla strips (directions follow)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 4cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 1⁄2cups green tomatillo sauce
- 1cup shredded queso chihuahua cheese or 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the fried tortilla strips, slice corn tortillas into thin strips.
- Fry in a large skillet of hot oil until light golden brown and crisp, watching carefully so they do not burn.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- To assemble the casserole, spread the corn strips on the bottom of a 9×13″ baking dish.
- Place the chicken on top and cover with the sauce, then top with cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Spread the sour cream over the top of the casserole and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note